Double Space in Word is used to format your text based on the guidelines given for any whitepaper or research paper or any writing standard you need to follow. It makes the document readable and clutter free. Formatting the text makes much more sense when you want to read large documents.
To double space is referred to as setting the space between lines of the paragraphs or specific lines or all lines of the document. It is also considered while setting a style of heading in the Word template.
You can customize the settings for double space in Word.
How to Double Space in Word
Method 1 – To double space the entire document using the Styles menu.
- Under the Home tab, choose the Styles group.
- Right-click the Normal option and then press on Modify.
- From the Format menu button, choose the paragraph or the appropriate option.
- Click Paragraph.
- Under Line spacing, select Double.
- Lastly, press on OK, now the formatting for the entire document will be changed to double spacing.
Method 2: To double space in Word for the highlighted text using the Home tab.
- Highlight the text that you wish to double space.
- Under the Home tab, choose Paragraph group.
- Press on the Line and Paragraph Spacing icon. On hover, you will see the icon name in the form of a tooltip.
- Select the 2.0 value from the drop-down list.
- The selected text is converted to the double-space format.
Method 3: To double space in Word for the highlighted text using the Design tab.
- Select the text you want to double space.
- Go to the Design tab.
- Choose Paragraph Spacing.
- Lastly, click the Double option.
NOTE: You can customize the space using the Custom Paragraph Spacing option. If there is a specific spacing option, for example, 1.75. You can set the value yourself.
Best thing one can do to learn how to utilise MS Word to the fullest extent is two-fold.
First is one can use the program and find out what you need to know, and self explore until one gets familiar to them. Trial and error takes time but it’s also the best teaching tool in terms of learning Microsoft Word or any other document formatting software.
The second is a lot more boring which includes reading lessons on the specific parts of Microsoft Word one needs, or finding the guides online that might be useful.
Therefore, the best way to learn MS Word is a mix of both. But it is most effective to lean on teaching oneself programs such as MS Word. Formatting is an important feature and if the styles are not set, it becomes a nightmare formatting long documents. It is recommended to set the formatting style while creating Word templates to avoid re-work at a later stage.